If you have a workshop, a drill press is one of the most important tools that you should have. While its primary function is to drill holes, it can also be used in other ways, depending on the specific model that you will pick. With the best drill press, you will be able to complete your work quickly, accurately, and efficiently.
Not all drill presses, however, are created equally. If you have no idea on which to pick, keep on reading the rest of this post. We will take a look at some of the best options and we will also have short drill press reviews, which will definitely make it easier for you to arrive at a well-informed choice.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Choices for the Best Drill Press
- 1.1 1) WEN 4208 8 inch 5-Speed Drill Press Review
- 1.2 2) Skil 3320-01 10-Inch Drill Press Review
- 1.3 3) Jet JDP-17 HP Drill Press Review
- 1.4 4) Jet 354170 20-Inch Floor Drill Press Review
- 1.5 5) Dewalt DWE1622K 2-Speed 2-inch Magnetic Drill Press Review
- 1.6 6) Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press Review
- 1.7 7) Shop Fox W1668 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press Review
- 2 Buying Guide for the Best Drill Press
- 3 Conclusion
Top Choices for the Best Drill Press
In this section, let us have a glimpse at ten of the top picks that you might want to take into consideration.
1) WEN 4208 8 inch 5-Speed Drill Press Review
Affordable – this is perhaps the best reason why you should have it considered above all other models that are available on the market. Beyond its price, however, there are many other good reasons why this is an exceptional pick. The lightweight construction, for instance, makes it portable. It also comes with a 1/3 HP motor, which can work on a variety of materials and can drill up to one-inch thick cast iron. The adjustable speed is also a good thing, making it excellent when talking about versatility. You can have it adjusted from 740 to 3,140 revolutions per minute, depending on what the application requires.
- Easy to Use
- Outstanding Performance
- Wobbling can be Experienced
- Problems with Tilting
2) Skil 3320-01 10-Inch Drill Press Review
Even with a practical price, this is an impressive drill press. It comes with an innovative laser guidance system making it easy to determine where specifically the holes will be drilled. The speed can be adjusted in five different settings, making it useful in a wide array of applications and in a variety of materials. The table also has a generous size, making it possible to accommodate even larger materials. The working surface can also be tilted, allowing you to angle its position based on what is required.
- Precise Drilling Outcomes
- Drills a Wide Array of Materials
- Economical Price
- Hard to Adjust Tilt
- Speed can be Hard to Adjust
3) Jet JDP-17 HP Drill Press Review
Powered by a ¾ HP motor, this is another drill press that can prove to be an exceptional pick. It comes with a 14 x 19-inch work table, which is also lit by an integrated work light. To make sure of drilling at the center, it comes with a laser system, which is one of the innovative features that contributes to its accuracy. The stable base is also worth mentioning, which prevents the unit from wobbling, especially when it is already dealing with thicker materials. It also comes with one-handed belt tensioning system, which is one of the reasons why it is asserted by many to be a user-friendly option.
- Stable Base
- Large Work Table
- Lit Work Area
- Easy to Change Speed
- Problematic Tilt Adjustment
- Complicated Assembly
4) Jet 354170 20-Inch Floor Drill Press Review
The power that you can anticipate from this drill press is probably the reason why many others have ranked it as amongst the best. With its 1.5-HP motor, you will surely be confident that it can complete a wide array of drilling applications without any difficulty. It comes with 12 spindle speeds, allowing you to have it easily adjusted from 150 to 4,200 RPM. When modifying the speed as required by a specific task, such can be done in a manner that is almost effortless. It has an integrated work light. It also comes with a large table with generous weight capacity, supporting materials that are up to 80 pounds.
- Variable Speed
- Illuminated Work Area
- Quick Speed Adjustments
- Expensive Price
5) Dewalt DWE1622K 2-Speed 2-inch Magnetic Drill Press Review
The 10-amp motor of this drill press is perhaps one of its most commendable features, which is the one that is responsible for making it able to effortlessly drill through even thick materials. It also comes with two-speed adjustments, allowing you to choose from 350 and 450 RPM. To provide you with peace of mind, it has overload protection, which also prolongs the functional life of the motor. The quick change chuck system is also worth noting, which makes it possible to have the chucks changed in the absence of having to use any tool.
- Easy to Use
- Promotes Safety
- Powerful Motor
- Minimal Speed Adjustments
- Expensive Price
6) Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press Review
One of the many features that should be highlighted about this model would be its 16 different speeds, which means that it is versatile and can work effortlessly when drilling different materials. It is even made better by the auto-tensioning belt drive system, an innovative feature that will allow you to easily change from one speed to another. The power is also commendable, which is provided by the ¾ HP motor. It also has 6-inch quill stroke, which will basically allow it to drill deeper. It also has a LED light for illumination.
- Cast Iron Table
- Easy Belt Change
- Expensive Price
- Laser Can be Dim
7) Shop Fox W1668 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press Review
Powered by a ¾ HP motor, one thing that made this model a favorite within the product category is its multiple functionality. More than just being useful for drilling, it can also be used for sanding applications, making it an excellent addition for the workshop. It comes with an adjustable speed, which can be easily modified in 12 different settings ranging from 250 to 3050 RPM. It also has a tilting table, which can be adjusted to up to 90 degrees. It is designed for bench-top use, allowing you to maximize the use of the floor in your work area.
- Sanding Capability
- Heavy-duty Chuck
- Easy to Clean and Maintain
- A Bit Heavy
- Hard to Assemble
Buying Guide for the Best Drill Press
Still finding it hard to make a decision? Below, we will have a quick look at some of the most important factors that will have an impact on the choice that you will make:
- Price: Without a doubt, this will be the most important factor for most people. A lot will be focused in looking for the cheapest model, but this should not be the case, especially if you are after quality and if you are looking for one that will be for professional use. Invest in a more expensive model if you need a machine that can tackle more demanding applications.
- Reviews: To make it easier for you to determine what the best is, you should consult with the opinions of other people, specifically through online reviews. Their experiences and insights will provide you with a basis on which one to choose.
- Motor: This is one of the most important parts of the drill press and will be highly indicative of the power that it can deliver. A weak motor is only for small tasks. If you need a drill press for professional applications, you should choose one that comes with a more powerful motor.
- Speed: Take a look at the speed of the drill press in order to determine how powerful and versatile it can be. Take a look at the revolutions per minute that it can create. The higher and the more options are available, the better. There are some with only two speed settings, while there are others as well that could go as high as 16.
- Table: This is an important part of the drill press that should not be ignored. It is often attached to the main unit through clamps. It is important for the table to be durable, stable and large enough, especially if you intend to be working on larger materials.
- Work Light: Not all of the models available have an integrated work light. It would be best to choose one that comes with this feature. This means that there is an integrated illumination, making it easier to see your work area.
- Laser: Many of the high-end features available in the market are incorporated with such feature. This is an innovative way to ensure the ability of the unit to accurately drill holes as the specific position will be determined by a reliable laser system.
- Safety: Do not also forget to take a look at the safety that can be delivered by the unit. The manufacturer must integrate features like overload protection, which will avoid the internal components from burning when the motor becomes too hot.
Searching for the best drill press is indeed not an easy task. You will be confronted with a lot of options, each claiming to be better than the rest of the products within the competitive landscape. Do not immediately believe what the manufacturers are claiming. It would be best to exert effort to read drill press reviews and learn from what other people have to say. Better yet, to make things easier, go back to our recommendations above and it will be easier for you to choose.